Irish writer Séan O Faoláin comments about life in Naples, and rural Italy.
- Title The Italians: A Personal View by Seán Ó Faoláin
- 1st Broadcast 22/11/1972
- ContributorSéan O Faoláin (Narrator)
- Clip Duration 00:06:13
- Material Type Video
- Series title Neighbours
- Clip title "There Are Too Many Italians In Italy"
- Extended description
O'Faoláin describes Naples as a place off the beaten track, often unseen by the tourists of Venice and Rome.
In this clip O'Faoláin describes the agrarian nature of life in Naples. The traditional attitude to women here places an expectation on them to produce sons to work the land. O'Faoláin makes analogies between the Neapolitan agrarian lifestyle and that in Ireland 150 years previously. The traditions perpetuate themselves within the community at a local level. The way of life presented here is a side of Italy often ignored or overlooked by the travelling tourist.
'Neighbours' was a six part series in which a selection of Irish writers presented their individual views of European countries.
The writers and the countries were, Sean Ó Faoláin on Italy and England, Jack White on Norway, John Montague on France, Francis Stuart on Germany, and Patrick Gallagher on Belgium.
Neighbours was first broadcast in 1972 and was later remastered and broadcast again in 2005.
- Local keywords Italy, Naples, Poverty, Mafia, Gradini Pallonetto S.Lucia, Sean O Faolain, Séan O Faoláin, Agriculture, Communist Party, Being European, European, Nationality, Citizenship, Europe
- Geographical coverage Italy
- Topic Society and Social Issues
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1972
- Country of production IRELAND
- Original identifier P463/00072
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
Dubliner's Reactions to Joining the EEC
Broadcast - 12/05/1972
Clip Length - 00:01:25
"There Are Too Many Italians In Italy"
Broadcast - 22/11/1972
Clip Length - 00:06:13
"The Belgians That Is Another Story"
Broadcast - 29/11/1972
Clip Length - 00:06:47
Paris - A Vision of Paradise
Broadcast - 06/12/1972
Clip Length - 00:07:22
A Journey Across Europe to Rome
Broadcast - 27/09/1973
Clip Length - 00:11:47
Food and Song Shared in Brittany
Broadcast - 26/12/1986
Clip Length - 00:06:33