A 'Wednesday Report' looking at the status of women in Ireland in 1970.
- Title The Status of Women
- 1st Broadcast 22/04/1970
- ContributorBrian Cleeve (Reporter)
John Williams (Director)
- Clip Duration 00:02:53
- Material Type Video
- Series title Wednesday Report
- Clip title "She Is Any Man's Equal"
- Extended description
Shortly after the first Commission on the Status of Women was set up in 1970, RTÉ's 'Wednesday Report' investigated the issue to see if women did in fact have the equal rights and status given to all citizens in the Irish constitution.
In this clip, presenter Brian Cleeve meets Kay Wyer, who has risen from behind the desk to become assistant to the sales manager in a clothing factory. She talks about how she is treated by men in the work environment and how having to constantly prove herself may make her seem tough at work. She also has to involve her husband in domestic affairs more than would be normal for a woman who stays at home.
'Wednesday Report' was a weekly series presenting a report on and analysis of a matter of current public concern, at home or abroad. It was first broadcast in October 1969 and was presented by Patrick Gallagher, Howard Kinlay and Brian Cleeve.
This 'Wednesday Report' was broadcast on 22 April 1970.
- Local keywords Women, Equality, Workers, Education, Factories, Pay, Margaret MacCurtain, Kay Wyer, Mary Hilliard, Douglas Thornton, Monica McElroy, Michael Fogarty
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Genre Factual
- Topic Society and Social Issues
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 1970
- Country of production IRELAND
- Original identifier P201/00070
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Libraries and Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Libraries and Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Black and White
- Item sound Stereo
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
Radio Éireann Conditions of Service
Production Year - 1947
Publisher Broadcaster - RTÉ
Who Washes Your Socks?
Broadcast - 07/10/1964
Clip Length - 00:03:29
"It's a Sin You Pay For All Your Life"
Broadcast - 29/11/1968
Clip Length - 00:03:50
A New Status for Women in the Workplace
Broadcast - 20/11/1968
Clip Length - 00:02:26
"The Hell In Which My Children and I Live"
Broadcast - 30/10/1986
Clip Length - 00:04:52
"She Is Any Man's Equal"
Broadcast - 22/04/1970
Clip Length - 00:02:53