The second in a series of news reports on the growth of immigration into Ireland. This report looks at the increase in births of non-nationals in Dublin hospitals.
- Title One in Five Births Were Non Nationals
- 1st Broadcast 01/05/2001
- ContributorAileen O'Meara (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:03:30
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title New Irish Citizens
- Extended description
Each day at the National Maternity Hospital, Holles Street in Dublin, mothers from Nigeria, Romania, Ukraine, Egypt and many eastern European countries give birth to a whole new generation of Irish citizens.
Reporter Aileen O'Meara speaks to the Assistant Matron at Holles Street, Maureen Fallon, about this new phenomenon.
Inter-country adoption is also on the rise with 1,205 children adopted from abroad in the past ten years.
This report was broadcast on 1 May 2001 and is the second report of five broadcast on the RTÉ evening news looking at immigration into Ireland.
The week long series of reports were broadcast from 30 April 2001 to the 4th of May 2001.
- Local keywords Non Nationals, Births, Hospitals, Adoption, Inter Country Adoption, Maureen Fallon, Caroline Orogun, Driton Hoti, Elaine Dilloughrey, Holles Street, Dublin, Immigration, Immigrants
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic Society and Social Issues
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 2001
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier BN01/121
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Stereo
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
New Irish Citizens
Broadcast - 01/05/2001
Clip Length - 00:03:30
Broadcast - 03/05/2001
Clip Length - 00:03:26
"More people are now coming into the country rather than leaving"
Broadcast - 04/05/2001
Clip Length - 00:03:44
Children No Longer Have A Constitutional Right to Irish Citizenship
Broadcast - 13/06/2004
Clip Length - 00:01:31
Broadcast - 14/02/2005
Clip Length - 00:08:19
Thousands Left Homeless and Dependent on Handouts
Broadcast - 10/05/2005
Clip Length - 00:04:32