In June 1988, Ireland had qualified for their first major soccer championship final, and faced England in their first game. Gabriel Egan and Noel King were the commentators for RTÉ Radio.
- Title European Soccer Ireland V England
- 1st Broadcast 12/06/1988
- ContributorGabriel Egan
- Clip Duration 00:04:11
- Material Type Audio
- Clip title “Has he blown the final whistle yet? Yes, he has.”
- Extended description
The Republic of Ireland faced England in the first match of the EURO 1988 finals in Stuttgart, Germany. Under the management of Jack Charlton, Ray Houghton scores for Ireland bringing victory.
This clip covers the start of the game when Ireland scores a goal. It captures Noel King laughing in sheer delight and the tension of the closing moments as England presses for an equaliser before the final whistle brings joyous relief.
The accompanying image shows goal scorer Ray Houghton.
- Local keywords Gabriel King, Noel King, European Soccer, Radio Commentator, Ray Houghtan
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic Sport
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1988
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier AA39245
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item sound Mono
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)