Morning Ireland takes a look at what people think of Valentine's Day and celebrities talk about receiving Valentine cards.
- Title A Day for Love and Romance
- 1st Broadcast 14/02/1985
- ContributorDavid Hanly (Presenter)
Fintan Drury (Presenter)
- Clip Duration 00:04:31
- Material Type Audio
- Series title Morning Ireland
- Clip title "A frenzy of excitement... waiting for the postman"
- Extended description
Pat Kenny talks about his youth and going through the 'Michael Lester' period of getting sacks of mail when he was a RTÉ newsreader.
Fintan Drury speaks to Chris de Burgh who describes Valentine's Day as "a frenzy of excitement... waiting for the postman", and Gay Byrne recalls receiving shoals of mail when he was young to the embarrassment of his mother. Thelma Mansfield describes first becoming aware of Valentine's Day about the age of 13.
Presenter David Hanly says he won't get his Valentine's cards until tomorrow as he hasn't had a chance to post them to himself yet!
'Morning Ireland' is RTÉ's breakfast news programme broadcast each weekday morning between 7am and 9am on RTÉ Radio 1. The programme was first broadcast in 1984. The programme is co-presented and over the years presenters have included David Hanly, Joe Little,Áine Lawlor, Cathal Mac Coille, Rachael English and Gavin Jennings.
The accompanying image of a young couple was taken in 1977 by Lee Ronan for RTÉ Television's 'Survey'.
© RTÉ Archives 2167/024
- Local keywords Valentine's Day, Morning Ireland, Pat Kenny, Fintan Drury, Chris de Burg, Gay Byrne, David Hanly, Thelma Mansfield
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Genre Entertainment and Performing Arts
- Topic National Holidays, Festivals, Anniversaries, Annual Events
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ Radio One
- Production year 1985
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier QCC5152
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item sound Mono
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
"She's very funny and she's got fat cheeks."
Broadcast - 13/02/1981
Clip Length - 00:03:22
"A frenzy of excitement... waiting for the postman"
Broadcast - 14/02/1985
Clip Length - 00:04:31
Saint Valentine, Cards, Relics, in Dublin
Broadcast - 10/02/1976
Clip Length - 00:05:31
Top 10 Tips For Romance
Broadcast - 12/02/2002
Clip Length - 00:04:10
Do You Send Valentine's Cards?
Broadcast - 11/02/1984
Clip Length - 00:04:56
Valentine's Day Past
Broadcast - 14/02/2002
Clip Length - 00:03:21