Deirdre McCarthy reports for 'Nationwide' on the myths, legends and religious practices surrounding St. Valentine’s Day.
- Title The Myths of Valentine’s Day
- 1st Broadcast 14/02/1996
- ContributorDeirdre McCarthy (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:02:03
- Material Type Video
- Series title Nationwide
- Clip title “Dear Saint Anne, send me a man, a good one If you can”.
- Extended description
Eilis de Barra remembers saying novenas to Saint Anne to find a husband.
“Dear Saint Anne, Send me a man, A good one if you can”.
Eilis says that springtime is traditionally the time when a young man’s fantasy turns to love.
Mary Byrne talks about love potions containing hair, nail clippings, herbs, heat and the names of the couple involved. The spell is then administered to the man without his knowledge in an attempt to bring him closer to his partner.
This episode of 'Nationwide' was broadcast on Valentine's Day, 1996.
'Nationwide' is an early evening magazine programme that brings Irish viewers an eclectic round-up of news, views and events from around the country.
- Local keywords Valentine's Day, Deirdre McCarthy, Eilis de Barra, St. Valentine, Mary Byrne
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic National Holidays, Festivals, Anniversaries, Annual Events
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 1996
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier 96D00134
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
Poll Shows Irish Are the Sexiest Nationality
Broadcast - 09/02/2009
Clip Length - 00:01:30
A Valentine's Day Serenade
Broadcast - 13/02/1984
Clip Length - 00:02:34
French vs Irish Romance
Broadcast - 14/02/1990
Clip Length - 00:04:57
How to Break Up With Someone
Broadcast - 14/02/2001
Clip Length - 00:05:07
“Dear Saint Anne, send me a man, a good one If you can”.
Broadcast - 14/02/1996
Clip Length - 00:02:03
Valentine's Day on O'Connell Bridge
Broadcast - 14/02/1980
Clip Length - 00:01:26