People on Grafton Street in Dublin's city centre talk about Valentine's Day and what it means to them. Tom McGurk also pays a visit to Whitefriars Church where the relics of Saint Valentine are preserved.
- Title St. Valentine and Valentine Cards
- 1st Broadcast 10/02/1976
- ContributorTom McGurk (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:05:31
- Material Type Video
- Series title First House
- Clip title Saint Valentine, Cards, Relics, in Dublin
- Extended description
A report on St Valentine's day from the series 'First House'. Reporter Tom McGurk asks people on Grafton Street, Dublin about their plans for Valentine's Day and what they know of Saint Valentine. He then visits Whitefriars Church on Aungier Street Dublin where the relics of Saint Valentine are preserved. The relics were donated to the church in 1835.
McGurk gives a history of Saint Valentine and of the tradition of sending cards which may be an ancient Roman tradition.
This episode of 'First House' was broadcast on 10 February, 1976.
The 'First House' series was broadcast in 1975 and 1976.
- Local keywords Valentine's Day, St. Valentine, Dublin, Aungier Street, Whitefriars Church, Tom McGurk, First House, Grafton Street
- Geographical coverage Ireland, Dublin
- Topic National Holidays, Festivals, Anniversaries, Annual Events
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1976
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier P160/00076
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
"She's very funny and she's got fat cheeks."
Broadcast - 13/02/1981
Clip Length - 00:03:22
"A frenzy of excitement... waiting for the postman"
Broadcast - 14/02/1985
Clip Length - 00:04:31
Saint Valentine, Cards, Relics, in Dublin
Broadcast - 10/02/1976
Clip Length - 00:05:31
Top 10 Tips For Romance
Broadcast - 12/02/2002
Clip Length - 00:04:10
Do You Send Valentine's Cards?
Broadcast - 11/02/1984
Clip Length - 00:04:56
Valentine's Day Past
Broadcast - 14/02/2002
Clip Length - 00:03:21