'The Radharc Squad' tells the story of one of the greatest adventures in Irish television history how of a group of Catholic priests turned filmmakers produced over 400 groundbreaking, influential and often controversial films between 1962 and 1996. Marking the 50th anniversary of both Radharc and RTÉ, this two part documentary uses the Radharc archive and interviews with key figures and commentators who examine the value and legacy of the Radharc films to Irish broadcasting.
- Title These Men Are Dangerous
- 1st Broadcast 11/12/2012
- ContributorRuán Magan (Producer/Director)
Philip Cullen (Editor)
Laura Ní Cheallaigh (Producer)
Patricia Carroll (Executive Producer)
Roger Childs (Executive Producer RTÉ)
- Clip Duration 00:52:05
- Material Type Video
- Series title The Radharc Squad
- Clip title The Radharc Squad - These Men Are Dangerous
- Extended description
The second part of 'The Radharc Squad' looks at Radharc in a changing Ireland of the 1970s and 1980s. As more of the population questioned the role of the Catholic Church in Irish society what was Radharc's function now?
Outside of Ireland Radharc was looking at religious politics and liberation theology in South and Central America. In the Philippines where there was a large American military presence Radharc highlighted the work of Father Shay Cullen with drug addicts and prostitutes.
In the Turkana desert in northern Kenya, Radharc looked at the work of Father Tony Barrett, a missionary, taking on an anthropological role in the tribal community.
The Radharc Squad finishes by asking what is the legacy of the Radharc series?
'The Radharc Squad' was a Tyrone Production in association with RTÉ made with the support of the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland.
- Local keywords Radharc, RTÉ, Television, Broadcasting, Religion, Catholic Church, Priests, Nuns, Drugs, Women, Vatican II, Michael Cleary, Sex, Sex Education, John Charles McQuaid,
- Geographical coverage Ireland, Brazil, Philippines, Turkana, Kenya, Africa
- Genre Factual
- Topic Religion and Belief
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 2012
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier PXD6/10185
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type whole
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Stereo
- Aspect ratio 16:9 (widescreen)