The Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform, Brendan Howlin, announced details of almost €1.4bn in spending cuts for next year and described the decisions made by government as "difficult" and "unpalatable".
- Title Budget 2012 Minister Brendan Howlin's Speech
- 1st Broadcast 05/12/2011
- ContributorDavid Davin Power (Reporter)
Brian Dobson (Newsreader)
- Clip Duration 00:02:20
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title Difficult And Unpalatable Decisions
- Extended description
This was the first part of a 2 day budget that were followed the next day by further announcements by Minister for Finance, Michael Noonan, who would unveil the tax cuts side of budget 2012.
David Davin-Power reports on the day’s events. Howlin also announced fundamental changes to how the budget would be presented in future years. There would no longer be a single announcement but rather a multi-year process.
A RTÉ News report by David Davin Power. This report was introduced by Brian Dobson.
- Local keywords Memorable Budgets, 2012, Budget, Brendan Howlin, David Davin Power, Politics, Economics
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 2011
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier 11D01187
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 16:9 (widescreen)
- Language used English (eng)
Source Of Leaks To Be Investigated
Broadcast - 17/11/2011
Clip Length - 00:02:22
"I Want To Be A Taoiseach Who Retrieves Ireland's Economic Sovereignty"
Broadcast - 05/12/2011
Clip Length - 00:13:20
Difficult And Unpalatable Decisions
Broadcast - 05/12/2011
Clip Length - 00:02:20
Day Two of Budget
Broadcast - 06/12/2011
Clip Length - 00:03:16
- 1970: Budget Without A Minister
- 1976: Minister for Hardship
- 1980: Living Beyond Our Means
- 1982: VAT On Children's Shoes
- 1984: "A Dreary Non-Event"
- 1987: 'Mac The Knife'
- 1991: First Televised Budget
- 1992: Bertie's First Budget
- 1995: Rainbow Budget
- 2000: Giveaway Budget
- 2004: Decentralisation
- 2007: A Generous Package
- 2011: The Final Fianna Fail Budget
- 2012: Spending Cuts and Tax Hikes