Ahead of the announcement of further austerity measures in Budget 2012, The Taoiseach, Enda Kenny addresses the nation in a television broadcast on the “challenges we face as a community, an economy and as a country”.
- Title National Address by An Taoiseach Enda Kenny
- 1st Broadcast 05/12/2011
- ContributorEnda Kenny
- Clip Duration 00:13:20
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title "I Want To Be A Taoiseach Who Retrieves Ireland's Economic Sovereignty"
- Extended description
Kenny warns that tough measures lay ahead in the budget.
In this pre-budget address, the focus is on jobs, economic security and how budgetary decisions will be difficult on people but necessary for the future of the country.
“I want to be a Taoiseach who retrieves Ireland's economic sovereignty and who leads a government that will help our government really succeed. I want to make this the best small country in the world in which to do business, in which to raise a family, and in which to grow old with a sense of dignity and respect.”
An address by the Taoiseach, Enda Kenny.
- Local keywords Memorable Budgets, Budget, 2012, Enda Kenny, Sovereignty, Politics, Economics
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 2011
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier PXD3/28022
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 16:9 (widescreen)
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English and Irish
Source Of Leaks To Be Investigated
Broadcast - 17/11/2011
Clip Length - 00:02:22
"I Want To Be A Taoiseach Who Retrieves Ireland's Economic Sovereignty"
Broadcast - 05/12/2011
Clip Length - 00:13:20
Difficult And Unpalatable Decisions
Broadcast - 05/12/2011
Clip Length - 00:02:20
Day Two of Budget
Broadcast - 06/12/2011
Clip Length - 00:03:16
- 1970 : Budget Without A Minister
- 1976 : Minister for Hardship
- 1980 : Living Beyond Our Means
- 1982 : VAT On Children's Shoes
- 1984 : "A Dreary Non-Event"
- 1987 : 'Mac The Knife'
- 1991 : First Televised Budget
- 1992 : Bertie's First Budget
- 1995 : Rainbow Budget
- 2000 : Giveaway Budget
- 2004 : Decentralisation
- 2007 : A Generous Package
- 2011 : The Final Fianna Fail Budget
- 2012 : Spending Cuts and Tax Hikes