David Davin Power reports on Charlie McCreevy's address to the Dáil and the replies from Fine Gael and Labour. McCreevy signals that there will be radical administrative decentralisation.
- Title Budget 2004 Speech
- 1st Broadcast 03/12/2003
- ContributorDavid Davin Power (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:04:15
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title Decentralisation To End Dublin Mindset In Policy Formation
- Extended description
The announcement of the biggest decentralisation programme in the history of the state overshadowed all other elements of the budget. Minister for Finance Charlie McCreevy announced that 10,000 civil servants would be transferred out of Dublin under proposals to involve every government department.
Other budget announcements included an increase in employee tax credits while the standard rate band stayed the same. The €10 per week increase in social welfare payments were criticised by anti-poverty campaigners.
McCreevy stated in his budget speech that "Decentralisation will involve the transfer of complete departments including their ministers and senior management to provincial locations..."
A RTÉ News report by David Davin Power looking at the decentralisation plans which emerged from Budget 2004.
This report was broadcast on 3 December, 2003.
- Local keywords Memorable Budgets, Budget, 2004, Charlie McCreevy, David Davin Power, Decentralisation, Politics, Economics
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Genre News
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 2003
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier BN03/337
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
Decentralisation To End Dublin Mindset In Policy Formation
Broadcast - 03/12/2003
Clip Length - 00:04:15
Budget Pleases Business But Problems For Local Government Finances
Broadcast - 03/12/2003
Clip Length - 00:02:33
"It Will Work and the Government Will Ensure That It will".
Broadcast - 08/12/2003
Clip Length - 00:02:03
- 1970: Budget Without A Minister
- 1976: Minister for Hardship
- 1980: Living Beyond Our Means
- 1982: VAT On Children's Shoes
- 1984: "A Dreary Non-Event"
- 1987: 'Mac The Knife'
- 1991: First Televised Budget
- 1992: Bertie's First Budget
- 1995: Rainbow Budget
- 2000: Giveaway Budget
- 2004: Decentralisation
- 2007: A Generous Package
- 2011: The Final Fianna Fail Budget
- 2012: Spending Cuts and Tax Hikes