With over 250,000 people on the dole, RTÉ's 'Evening Extra' looks at the plight of social welfare recipients.
- Title Another Budget 12 Years On
- 1st Broadcast 30/03/1987
- ContributorNick Coffey (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:08:16
- Material Type Video
- Series title Evening Extra
- Clip title Another Budget 12 Years On
- Extended description
In 1975 Nick Coffey interviewed two families from inner-city Dublin for an RTÉ '7 Days' programme. On the eve of the 1987 budget, he returns to both families to see how they are getting on.
Back in 1975, less than 80,000 were on the dole. The figure in 1987 stands at in excess of 250,000.
The programme takes a comparative approach by examining two case studies of how unemployed people survived back in 1975 and twelve years on.
'Evening Extra' report on the plight of the unemployed as they anticipate the announcement of Budget 1987.
'Evening Extra' was a nightly magazine programme which ran from Monday to Friday at 7pm dealing with current issues and people in the news. The first episode was aired on Monday 13 October, 1986 and it ran for 278 shows over 2 years until the final show on 29 April 1988. The programme had numerous presenters and reporters including Siobhan Cleary, Richard Crowley, Bibi Baskin, Aonghus McAnally and Shay Healy.
- Local keywords Memorable Budgets, Budget, 1987, Evening Extra, 7 Days, Nick Coffey, Unemployment, Economics, Politics
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1987
- Country of production Ireland,Dublin
- Original identifier P202/00087
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
- 1970 : Budget Without A Minister
- 1976 : Minister for Hardship
- 1980 : Living Beyond Our Means
- 1982 : VAT On Children's Shoes
- 1984 : "A Dreary Non-Event"
- 1987 : 'Mac The Knife'
- 1991 : First Televised Budget
- 1992 : Bertie's First Budget
- 1995 : Rainbow Budget
- 2000 : Giveaway Budget
- 2004 : Decentralisation
- 2007 : A Generous Package
- 2011 : The Final Fianna Fail Budget
- 2012 : Spending Cuts and Tax Hikes