Minister for Finance, Ray MacSharry, delivered a tough budget where fiscal rectitude was the phrase of the day.
- Title Fiscal Rectitude
- 1st Broadcast 01/04/1987
- ContributorJohn Bowman (Presenter)
- Clip Duration 00:05:44
- Material Type Audio
- Series title Day by Day
- Clip title "Mac The Knife"
- Extended description
Minister for Finance, Ray MacSharry, delivered a tough budget where fiscal rectitude was the phrase of the day. The budget targeted the public service, imposing a pay freeze and an embargo on recruitment. It put an end to a number of housing grants, and travellers who left the country for less than 48 hours were no longer entitled to duty-free goods. A £10 charge for hospital outpatients was also introduced.
Ray MacSharry answers listeners who feel that the budget has been very hard on the PAYE sector, assuring them that he is a PAYE worker himself.
This episode of 'Day by Day' presented by John Bowman offered listeners the opportunity to question the Minister for Finance directly.
The accompanying image shows Ray MacSharry holding the budget briefcase (1987).
© RTÉ Stills Library 0713/055
- Local keywords Memorable Budgets, 1987, Budget, Ray MacSharry, Economics, Politics
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1987
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier AA3675
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item sound Mono
- Language used English (eng)
- 1970: Budget Without A Minister
- 1976: Minister for Hardship
- 1980: Living Beyond Our Means
- 1982: VAT On Children's Shoes
- 1984: "A Dreary Non-Event"
- 1987: 'Mac The Knife'
- 1991: First Televised Budget
- 1992: Bertie's First Budget
- 1995: Rainbow Budget
- 2000: Giveaway Budget
- 2004: Decentralisation
- 2007: A Generous Package
- 2011: The Final Fianna Fail Budget
- 2012: Spending Cuts and Tax Hikes