Michael Fisher gets reaction to budget increases on the old reliables of petrol, tobacco and alcohol.
- Title Increases in Petrol, Tobacco and Drink
- 1st Broadcast 30/01/1984
- ContributorMichael Fisher (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:02:04
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title "I Wonder Is Mr. Dukes Paying The Six Pence Extra Himself?"
- Extended description
Retailers say that their profit margin on the sale of cigarettes has been cut to a completely unrealistic level. The tobacco industry also believes that these increases will not help trade and along with the publicans, they are disappointed.
Two pence on a pint will lead to pub closures, according to vintners.
The Automobile Association (AA) also believes that petrol price hikes will lead to further cross border shopping.
A RTÉ News report by Michael Fisher from 30 January 1984 on the impact of budget changes on the price of cigarettes, alcohol and petrol.
- Local keywords Memorable Budgets, 1984, Budget, Michael Fisher, Politics, Economics
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1984
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier N30/0084A
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
- 1970 : Budget Without A Minister
- 1976 : Minister for Hardship
- 1980 : Living Beyond Our Means
- 1982 : VAT On Children's Shoes
- 1984 : "A Dreary Non-Event"
- 1987 : 'Mac The Knife'
- 1991 : First Televised Budget
- 1992 : Bertie's First Budget
- 1995 : Rainbow Budget
- 2000 : Giveaway Budget
- 2004 : Decentralisation
- 2007 : A Generous Package
- 2011 : The Final Fianna Fail Budget
- 2012 : Spending Cuts and Tax Hikes