Minister for Finance, Alan Dukes, described his 1984 budget as "broadly neutral". The public react in a report for 'Today Tonight'.
- Title A Neutral Budget
- 1st Broadcast 25/01/1984
- ContributorGary Agnew (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:04:24
- Material Type Video
- Series title Today Tonight
- Clip title A Neutral Budget
- Extended description
Minister for Finance, Alan Dukes, described his 1984 budget as "broadly neutral". The Fianna Fáil spokesman for finance, Michael O'Kennedy, saw it as "a dreary non-event".
Tax-free allowances and social welfare benefits were increased. VAT on theatre tickets and other live shows was reduced from 23% to 5%. However, the budget provided for 8% VAT on clothes for those aged over ten, and there were tax hikes on the old reliables of alcohol, tobacco and petrol.
Members of the public give their reactions in this report.
This report from Gary Agnew for 'Today Tonight' was broadcast on 25 January 1984.
'Today Tonight' was a RTÉ current affairs programme with up-to-the-minute coverage of events at home and abroad. 'Today Tonight' was first broadcast on Monday, 6 October, 1980 and ran for 12 years until 1992.
Edited by Joe Mulholland, the original presenters included Barry Cowan, Brian Farrell and Olivia O'Leary. 'Today Tonight' aired from Monday to Thursday on RTÉ 1.
- Local keywords Memorable Budgets, Budget, 1984, Alan Dukes, Michael O'Kennedy, Gary Agnew, Politics, Economics, Students
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 1984
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier P36/00084
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
- 1970: Budget Without A Minister
- 1976: Minister for Hardship
- 1980: Living Beyond Our Means
- 1982: VAT On Children's Shoes
- 1984: "A Dreary Non-Event"
- 1987: 'Mac The Knife'
- 1991: First Televised Budget
- 1992: Bertie's First Budget
- 1995: Rainbow Budget
- 2000: Giveaway Budget
- 2004: Decentralisation
- 2007: A Generous Package
- 2011: The Final Fianna Fail Budget
- 2012: Spending Cuts and Tax Hikes