Charles J. Haughey prepares the public for what is to come in the 1980 budget.
- Title A Ministerial Broadcast by An Taoiseach
- 1st Broadcast 09/01/1980
- ContributorCharles J. Haughey
- Clip Duration 00:01:26
- Material Type Video
- Clip title "We Are Living Away Beyond Our Means"
- Extended description
When a broadcast by the Taoiseach, Charles J. Haughey, warned that, "...as a community, we are living away beyond our means", the nation braced itself for Michael O'Kennedy's budget.
Haughey opens with the line: "I wish to talk to you this evening about the state of the nation's affairs, and the picture I have to paint is not unfortunately a very cheerful one".
The budget would see increased PAYE allowances and widened tax bands, along with increased indirect taxation. Taxes on the old reliables like cigarettes, alcohol and petrol, all went up. The Irish Farmers Association felt that the budget was extremely harsh on the farming community.
'A Ministerial Broadcast by An Taoiseach' was broadcast the month prior to the budget announcement and was intended to prepare the Irish public for what was to come.
- Local keywords Memorable Budgets, 1980, Budget, Charles Haughey, Michael O'Kennedy, Politics, Economics
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Genre Factual
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1980
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier B40/106
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
- 1970: Budget Without A Minister
- 1976: Minister for Hardship
- 1980: Living Beyond Our Means
- 1982: VAT On Children's Shoes
- 1984: "A Dreary Non-Event"
- 1987: 'Mac The Knife'
- 1991: First Televised Budget
- 1992: Bertie's First Budget
- 1995: Rainbow Budget
- 2000: Giveaway Budget
- 2004: Decentralisation
- 2007: A Generous Package
- 2011: The Final Fianna Fail Budget
- 2012: Spending Cuts and Tax Hikes