The budget introduced by Minister for Finance Richie Ryan in 1976 was described as the toughest since the Second World War.
- Title Budget Details
- 1st Broadcast 28/01/1976
- ContributorMichael Murphy (Newsreader)
- Clip Duration 00:04:35
- Material Type Audio
- Series title News At Six Thirty
- Clip title The Harshest Budget Since The War
- Extended description
The budget introduced by Minister for Finance Richie Ryan in 1976 was described as the toughest since the Second World War. The many casualties included petrol, the price of which rose by 10 pence per gallon, and beer, which rose by 5 pence a pint. VAT was raised from 6.75% to 10%.
RTÉ News gave listeners the details fo the 1976 budget and tells them what Richie Ryan hopes to achieve.
A RTÉ News at Six Thirty radio report from budget day 1976.
The image accompanying this clip shows Fine Gael Minister for Finance Richie Ryan, in his office on Budget Day, 16 May, 1973.
© RTÉ Stills Library 2239/099
- Local keywords Memorable Budgets, Budget, 1976, Richie Ryan, Economics, Politics
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1976
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier QNX1619
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item sound Mono
- 1970: Budget Without A Minister
- 1976: Minister for Hardship
- 1980: Living Beyond Our Means
- 1982: VAT On Children's Shoes
- 1984: "A Dreary Non-Event"
- 1987: 'Mac The Knife'
- 1991: First Televised Budget
- 1992: Bertie's First Budget
- 1995: Rainbow Budget
- 2000: Giveaway Budget
- 2004: Decentralisation
- 2007: A Generous Package
- 2011: The Final Fianna Fail Budget
- 2012: Spending Cuts and Tax Hikes