In a change to the convention, An Taoiseach Jack Lynch, delivered Budget 1970 in the absence of the Minister for Finance, Charles J. Haughey.
- Title Lynch Presents Budget in Absence of Haughey
- 1st Broadcast 22/04/1970
- Clip Duration 00:00:25
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title Lynch Presents Budget in Absence of Haughey
- Extended description
Minister for Finance Charles J. Haughey was injured in a horse riding accident on the morning of the budget, 22 April 1970. In his place, the Taoiseach, Jack Lynch, delivered a budget that doubled turnover tax and increased the old age pension.
Shortly afterwards, on 6 May 1970, Haughey was sacked as Minister for Finance over the arms crisis.
A RTÉ News report showing Jack Lynch preparing to deliver budget 1970.
This news clip is mute.
- Local keywords Memorable Budgets, Budget, 1970, Charles Haughey, Jack Lynch, Politicis, Economics
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic Politics and Economics
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1970
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier N112/0070A
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Black and White
- Item sound Mute
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- 1970: Budget Without A Minister
- 1976: Minister for Hardship
- 1980: Living Beyond Our Means
- 1982: VAT On Children's Shoes
- 1984: "A Dreary Non-Event"
- 1987: 'Mac The Knife'
- 1991: First Televised Budget
- 1992: Bertie's First Budget
- 1995: Rainbow Budget
- 2000: Giveaway Budget
- 2004: Decentralisation
- 2007: A Generous Package
- 2011: The Final Fianna Fail Budget
- 2012: Spending Cuts and Tax Hikes