Luke Kelly explains how he met Patrick Kavanagh in The Bailey pub in Dublin. During this encounter Kavanagh told him he had a song for him.
- Title Luke Kelly Sings ‘On Raglan Road’
- 1st Broadcast 10/01/1979
- ContributorCiarán Mac Mathúna (Presenter)
Peter Canning (Producer)
Luke Kelly (Performer)
Al O'Donnell (Performer)
- Clip Duration 00:05:35
- Material Type Video
- Series title Humours of Donnbyrook
- Clip title Luke Kelly Sings ‘On Raglan Road’
- Extended description
Luke Kelly explains how he met Patrick Kavanagh in The Bailey pub in Dublin. During this encounter Kavanagh told him he had a song for him. The song was 'On Raglan Road'.
For many people Luke Kelly's interpretation of 'On Raglan Road' is the definitive one. Luke Kelly sings and plays banjo performing 'On Raglan Road' accompanied by Al O'Donnell on guitar.
'Humours of Donnybrook' was a series of traditional Irish music programmes presented by Ciarán MacMathuna and produced by Peter Canning.
- Local keywords Patrick Kavanagh, Poet, Poetry, Luke Kelly, On Raglan Road, The Bailey
- Geographical coverage Ireland, Dublin
- Topic Arts and Culture
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1979
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier 96D01496
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
First Person To Hear 'On Raglan Road'
Broadcast - 06/10/1974
Clip Length - 00:01:30
On Raglan Road Benedict Kiely
Broadcast - 10/01/1979
Clip Length - 00:01:38
Luke Kelly Sings ‘On Raglan Road’
Broadcast - 10/01/1979
Clip Length - 00:05:35
Hilda Moriarty the Inspiration for ‘On Raglan Road’
Broadcast - 30/11/1987
Clip Length - 00:01:29