John Hume does not see that the replacing of Captain Terence O'Neill will offer any hope to the civil rights movement.
- Title Hume on O'Neill Resignation
- 1st Broadcast 28/04/1969
- ContributorBarry Linnane (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:00:52
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title "Wherever Our Source of Hope Lies, It Certainly Doesn't Lie in the Unionist Party"
- Extended description
John Hume does not see that the replacing of Captain Terence O'Neill will offer any hope to the civil rights movement. Hume argues that this resignation will lead to further tension as the speculation will now be about a successor.
Hume states that "wherever our source of hope lies, it certainly doesn't lie in the Unionist Party". Hume also says that he has no confidence in a party that overthrew a man on such an important principle.
A RTÉ News report by Barry Linnane who speaks to John Hume about the resignation of Captain O'Neill broadcast on 28 April 1969.
- Local keywords Northern Ireland 1969, New Prime Minister, John Hume, Captain Terence O'Neill, Unionist Party, Northern Ireland, 1969, Terence O'Neill
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic Wars and Conflict
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1969
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier N2010/0069F
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Black and White
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
O'Neill Downfall Seen As Inevitable
Broadcast - 24/04/1969
Clip Length - 00:01:12
Reaction to O’Neill Resignation
Broadcast - 29/04/1969
Clip Length - 00:02:04
"Wherever Our Source of Hope Lies, It Certainly Doesn't Lie in the Unionist Party"
Broadcast - 28/04/1969
Clip Length - 00:00:52
Faulkner and Chichester-Clark for Leadership
Broadcast - 30/04/1969
Clip Length - 00:05:10
Chichester-Clark Ambitions for Leadership
Broadcast - 30/04/1969
Clip Length - 00:01:04