Donal Kelly reports from a barricade St. Columb's Street, Derry, where police attacked houses in the early hours of the morning on Sunday 5 January 1969.
- Title Derry Police Accused of Breaking Windows
- 1st Broadcast 05/01/1969
- ContributorDonal Kelly (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:00:59
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title Police Damage Homes in Nationalist Area of Derry
- Extended description
St. Columb's Street is situated in the heart of the nationalist area of Derry city. Residents claim that police systematically broke every window in the street. Residents also claim that when they objected, the police threatened them and molested some of the women. Senior police officials, while not commenting on the claims, have promised a full investigation if complaints are documented.
A RTÉ News report by Donal Kelly from 5 January 1969.
- Local keywords Civil Rights Movement, Derry, Londonderry, RUC, Donal Kelly, St. Columb's Street, Police, People's Democracy
- Geographical coverage Ireland, Derry
- Topic Wars and Conflict
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1969
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier N5/0069A
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Black and White
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
"Seven Days" Report on Belfast to Derry March
Broadcast - 07/01/1969
Clip Length - 00:03:21
Police Damage Homes in Nationalist Area of Derry
Broadcast - 05/01/1969
Clip Length - 00:00:59