William Craig talks about the demonstration in Armagh, the actions of the police, "one man, one vote" and calls for his resignation.
- Title Interview with William Craig
- 1st Broadcast 03/12/1968
- ContributorRonnie Turner (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:05:01
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title "I haven't said that I am not in favour of one man, one vote"
- Extended description
In an interview for RTÉ, William Craig, Northern Ireland Minister of Home Affairs, talks about the demonstration in Armagh, the actions of the police, "one man, one vote" and calls for his resignation.
Craig says the first job of the police is to protect life and property. They also discuss the Catholic religion, concepts of democracy, local government, and the possibilities of the unification of all of Ireland. Craig argues that criticism is part of political life and sees absolutely no justification for the cause of the civil rights reformers.
A RTÉ News report by Ronnie Turner, who speaks to William Craig, Northern Ireland Minister of Home Affairs, about civil rights issues in Northern Ireland.
This report was broadcast on 3 December 1968.
- Local keywords Civil Rights Movement, Northern Ireland, William Craig, Ronnie Turner, Armagh, Civil Rights, One Man One Vote, 1968
- Geographical coverage Ireland, Northern Ireland, Armagh
- Topic Wars and Conflict
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1968
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier N2132/0068C
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Black and White
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
McAnerney Blames Craig for March Not Taking Place
Broadcast - 02/12/1968
Clip Length - 00:01:20
"I haven't said that I am not in favour of one man, one vote"
Broadcast - 03/12/1968
Clip Length - 00:05:01
"...I can prove conclusively that this was not an unlawful assembly"
Broadcast - 03/12/1968
Clip Length - 00:06:44
"...the mere puppets of the fat-bellied bishops of Maynooth"
Broadcast - 08/12/1968
Clip Length - 00:04:07