Ronnie Turner reports on cabinet reaction to the Armagh civil rights demonstration.
- Title Reaction to Civil Rights Demonstration in Armagh
- 1st Broadcast 02/12/1968
- ContributorRonnie Turner (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:00:34
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title Cabinet Discusses Demonstrations at Armagh
- Extended description
The Minister for Home Affairs, William Craig, has been accused by the Civil Rights Association of deliberately under-policing the parade.
The Association said that if their stewards had not acted responsibly, the marchers could have broken through the police cordon and a severe clash could have occurred. It is now reported that the Civil Rights Association will approach British conservative MP's at Westminster to have a question raised in the House of Commons about Mr. William Craig's ability to act as Minister of Home Affairs.
A RTÉ News report by Ronnie Turner on the civil rights demonstrations in Armagh.
This report was broadcast on 2 December 1968.
- Local keywords Civil Rights Movement, Armagh, Ronnie Turner, William Craig, Civil Rights Association, 1968
- Geographical coverage Ireland, Northern Ireland, Armagh
- Topic Wars and Conflict
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1968
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier N2130/0068C
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Black and White
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
Shop Fronts Boarded Up on the Eve of the Demonstration
Broadcast - 29/11/1968
Clip Length - 00:00:26
"It would be quite unsafe to allow you people to go any further"
Broadcast - 30/11/1968
Clip Length - 00:03:47
All Quiet in Armagh After Demonstrations
Broadcast - 01/12/1968
Clip Length - 00:00:20
Cardinal Thanks Civil Rights Demonstrators
Broadcast - 01/12/1968
Clip Length - 00:00:53
Cabinet Discusses Demonstrations at Armagh
Broadcast - 02/12/1968
Clip Length - 00:00:34