Eddie McAteer, leader of the Nationalist Party, talks about the mood for civil disobedience in Derry and the new policy adopted by his party.
- Title McAteer on Civil Disobedience
- 1st Broadcast 18/11/1968
- ContributorBarry Linnane (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:01:59
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title "The Whole Mood of the Community Now is for Disobedience"
- Extended description
Eddie McAteer says that the whole mood of the community now is for disobedience and there is almost a total disrespect for law and order. He also feels that the work of the civil rights movement will be supplemented and supported by the Nationalist Party.
McAteer describes the current situation as the "cauldron beginning to boil over" with all kinds of people getting involved. He feels that the cabinet, who he describes as sitting in an "ivory tower", must make a move now.
A RTÉ News report by Barry Linnane who speaks to Eddie McAteer about the mood of the community in Derry.
This report was broadcast on 18 November 1968.
- Local keywords Civil Rights Movement, Civil Rights, Eddie McAteer, Nationalist Party, Derry, Londonderry, Civil Unrest, Barry Linnane, 1968
- Geographical coverage Ireland, Derry
- Genre News
- Topic Wars and Conflict
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1968
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier N1929/0068G
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Black and White
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
15,000 March in Derry
Broadcast - 16/11/1968
Clip Length - 00:07:29
Prayers for Peace in Derry
Broadcast - 16/11/1968
Clip Length - 00:00:35
"The Whole Mood of the Community Now is for Disobedience"
Broadcast - 18/11/1968
Clip Length - 00:01:59
Protesters Defy Ban Again in Derry
Broadcast - 19/11/1968
Clip Length - 00:02:46
"Sectarianism has Not Reared its Head in the Civil Rights Movement"
Broadcast - 20/11/1968
Clip Length - 00:00:48