Pat Sweeney reports on the situation in Derry prior to the civil rights rally.
- Title Situation in Derry Prior to Demonstration
- 1st Broadcast 04/10/1968
- ContributorPat Sweeney (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:02:24
- Material Type Audio
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title "For the Sake of Our City and the Future"
- Extended description
Brendan Hynes, chairman of the local Labour Party branch, outlines the intentions of the demonstrations. A labour party loudspeaker car was earlier impounded by the police for encouraging people to march for civil liberties despite Craig's ban.
While the RUC had a water canonn on standby, Mr. Hynes stated that the protestors wanted an amicable agreement with the police to allow them to march and that it was their civil liberty to be allowed to walk through their city.
A RTÉ News report prior to the Derry demonstration.
This report by Pat Sweeney was broadcast on 4 October 1968.
The photograph accompanying this clip shows a boarded-up premises in Derry city on 7 May 1969. A notice publicising a civil rights march is visible.
The photographer was Peter Dorney.
© RTÉ Stills Library 2142/022
- Local keywords Civil Rights Movement, Civil Rights, Civil Rights March, Pat Sweeney, Brendan Hynes, Labour Party, Craigs Ban, RUC, Derry, Londonderry, 1968
- Geographical coverage Ireland, Northern Ireland, Derry, Londonderry
- Topic Wars and Conflict
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1968
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier AA6173
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item sound Mono
- Language used English (eng)
"Policemen to the Front of Us, Policemen to the back of Us ... No Way Out"
Broadcast - 02/02/1972
Clip Length - 00:02:44
"For the Sake of Our City and the Future"
Broadcast - 04/10/1968
Clip Length - 00:02:24
Protest in Full Swing
Broadcast - 05/10/1968
Clip Length - 00:04:22
Riot Scenes at Derry Demonstration
Broadcast - 06/10/1968
Clip Length - 00:00:17
Scenes in Derry after Riot
Broadcast - 06/10/1968
Clip Length - 00:00:44