Over one hundred demonstrators protested against housing conditions at Londonderry Corporation's monthly meeting by occupying the Guildhall chamber.
- Title Housing Protest at Guildhall
- 1st Broadcast 27/08/1968
- Clip Duration 00:00:30
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title "Citizens Fight for Your Rights"
- Extended description
This protest was organised by the Derry Housing Action Committee (DHAC) and the Labour Party. Activists from DHAC had been disrupting corporation debates for some time. After verbal exchanges between councillors and the protest leaders, the police cleared the gallery.
Men, women and children protest about housing conditions at a Londonderry Corporation meeting. Led by members of DHAC and Ivan Cooper of the Labour Party, they occupy the Guildhall.
A RTÉ News clip on the housing protest at Guildhall. This report was broadcast on 27 August, 1968.
- Local keywords Civil Rights Movement, Civil Rights, Civil Rights Protest, Derry Housing Action, Derry Housing Action Committee, DHAC, Labour Party, Guildhall, Ivan Cooper, 1968
- Geographical coverage Derry, Ireland, Northern Ireland
- Topic Wars and Conflict
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1968
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier N708/0068L
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Black and White
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3