Edition 53 of Century Ireland is out on 6 May 2015, with all the news from 100 years ago.
The main stories in Edition 53 of Century Ireland include:
- Lusitania Sunk by German Torpedo
More than 1,300 lives are feared lost after the Lusitania was hit by a torpedo off the south coast of Ireland yesterday.
- Outrage in America at Sinking of Lusitania
There has been an outpouring of anger in America at the sinking of the Lusitania by a German submarine.
- Gallipoli: ‘A Frightful Ordeal’
Stories of the brutal battles for Gallipoli have reached Ireland as the first letters home arrived to soldiers’ families.
- Drink Taxation Proposals Abandoned
Proposals emanating from the British government to double the taxation levied on beer, wine and whiskey have been abandoned.
Other stories include:
- New Dockers Strike in Dublin
- Irish Rugby International Killed in France
- Children Miss School Due to Farmwork
- Traffic Jams on Grafton Street
Grafton Street, Dublin
For more from Century Ireland, visit www.rte.ie/centuryireland