Cunningham 'not asked to quit'
|08 Oct 2015 18:06|
| A Galway County Board source has told RTÉ Sport that Anthony Cunningham was never asked to consider his position by his players prior to being re-appointed as hurling manager last week. Cunningham was ratified by the county board to continue in his role for the 2016 season last Monday week but it was subsequently claimed that four players had met with Cunningham on the weekend before he was re-appointed and told him that the squad had lost faith in his management. These reports have now been strongly denied. The source confirmed that Cunningham spoke to the senior members of his squad before he was due to meet the county board about extending his tenure and that the players did express concerns about a number of issues, but proposals were discussed about how improvements could be made for next season. However, the source insists that at no stage did these players ask the manager to consider his position and that Cunningham and the players present agreed that the proposals would remain confidential. |
|The players are believed to have subsequently agreed a motion of no cofidence in Cunningham. |
|Talks between the players and the county board did not resolve the stand-off last night. Cunningham has been in charge of the Tribesmen since 2012 and guided them to two All Ireland finals in that time.|